Any student, whether in the philosophy program or not, is invited to get involved with our active philosophy club. With President Amanda Kowalski at the helm, the club meets approximately once each week--usually Tuesday evenings--for discussions on specific topics, games, pizza, and the chance to mull over arguments and puzzles in a welcoming and supportive environment that encourages the inquisitive and the puzzled alike.
How to Join
You can find out more about the Philosophy Club via their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/tamuccphiloclub/. Also, Club Historian Nick Vela maintains an informative mailing list for announcements and scheduling information. To be added to the list, please contact Nick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amanda Kowalski, President
Jasmine Deleon , Vice President
Charles 'Chip' Kuklinski , Secretary
Nicholas Vela, Club Historian
Meetings are held every Tuesday, 6:30 - 9:00, in EN-101.
- Jan 16th
- Introduction (canceled due to university closing)
- Jan 22nd
- Is the Universe on a whole more good or bad?
- Jan 30th
- Can Pragmatism work? Are there examples of pragmatism in your life?
- Feb 6th
- False Truths
- Feb 13th
- What is love?
- Feb 20th
- Is immortality a possibility? How could it be?
- Feb 27th
- Death, is it really the end?
- Mar 6th
- Pascal’s Wager
- Mar 13th
- Spring Break! No Meeting
- Mar 20th
- Game Night
- Mar 27th
- Is it right or wrong to interfere in the affairs of others?
- Apr 3rd
- What is the importance of the individual? Can one person change anything?
- Apr 10th
- To What Extent is Human Alteration of the Environment Moral?
- Apr 17th
- What is the ideal form of Government?
- Apr 24th
- Can the use of Nuclear Weapons be justified?
- May 1st
- Wrap Up- Discussion of new topics
- 28 November 2017: "Does science describe or explain the world? Is science just a method of humans understanding nature?"
- 14 November 2017: "Should we Fear death? The customs and myths of the afterlife shows this fear throughout time, is it justified?"
- 7 November 2017: "Can we really know what it feels like to be a bat? Can you ever understand what another person is feeling?"
- 24 October 2017: "Has Social media changed how people interact? Is this a positive or Negative Change?"
- 17 October 2017: "Does the anonymity of the Internet change an Individual's moral responsibility?"
- 10 October 2017: "Is Censorship ever justified? What conditions are needed to Justify it?"
- 3 October 2017: "Are we Products of our Environment, or is it Genetics?"
- 26 September 2017: "Do you have an obligation to oneself? Is this part of character or is self-interest always bad? When does selfishness begin?"
- 19 September 2017: "Is there a soul, or are we simply a mind and a body? How are being, self, and consciousness related?"
- 12 September 2017: "What is Life? How does the human condition differ from animal or plant life?"